Saturday 2 August 2014

Looking Glass Designs - Guest Blog Post

As you already know, I love handmade products and I take every opportunity to promote them, not just my own, but goodies that I bought myself from other artists and crafters or I came across and liked. For today's Blog, I am presenting you Looking Glass Design and the person behind it. We met on Folksy, a great place not only to sell and buy handmade but a place where artists, crafters and artisans meet, chat and exchange ideas. Enjoy!

Hi – My name is Denise Hayes and I own Looking Glass Designs.  I have a husband, and a 5.5 year old son along with 2 cats. Sometimes the cats are more work than the hubby and son! I have had a Folksy Shop since November 2012. I’ve always crafted, mostly embroidery and cross stitch but learned how to knit, sew and crochet when I was a teenager.

Now I knit, crochet and sew, making home décor items and accessories for men, women and children. I often have custom orders and am beginning to design more of my items. I love Alice in Wonderland so decided to call my shop Looking Glass Designs. Some people think I make stained glass or other glass works when I do craft fairs!

I would have a hard time picking out just one item from my shop – but right now I think it would have to be  one of my Halloween Bags - http://folksy.com/items/4158338-Children-s-Halloween-Bag-Green-Monster-Bag-FrankensteinTrick-or-Treat-Bag- I’ve sold quite a few of my Halloween Bags in the last few years and some customers have told me that their child uses the bag all year long and not just at Halloween.

I started making to sell late in 2011 so I could work from home when my son was a toddler and found that Etsy and Folksy were easy to use and sell from. I often hear back from my customers about how much they love what they have received – and this is why I keep making and selling even when sales are slow.


I love running my own business – I can stop working and play with my son, or get some housework done, cook, or occasionally meet up with friends for coffee . I do struggle sometimes with motivation and planning – the weather can also change my plans – I take some photos of my items outside so need to have nice weather – no rain, and not too dark.

Knit Bangles
My one piece of advice to anyone who would like to start a business it to act as if you are running a business!  I see a lot of people who sell online making handmade items but think they don’t have to follow DSR”s & accept returns, price appropriately, or spend time marketing their shops.

Find out more about Denise and Looking Glass Designs:

Twitter: @LookingGlassD

No comments:

Post a Comment