Saturday 5 July 2014

Why I Like 'Not on the High Street' Online Shop

Photo by Teodora Totorean

No, I haven’t been paid to write this blog, but ever since I discovered www.notonthehighstreet.com website, this is the first place I look when searching for something unique for my home (besides Folksy and Etsy, of course). From home accessories and art prints to jewellery and wedding stationery, there is something for everyone: women, men, children; brides and grooms, gardeners, artists; cooks, home stylists, fashionistas, and the list is endless.

The website is user friendly, easy to navigate, the design is airy and elegant and with just a few clicks you can buy those unique items that you won’t find anywhere else. Warning: after a few visits you may become addicted! 

I was happy to discover prints by one of my favourite artists, Alison Johnson, as well as finding new artists to add to my “artists I admire” list like Adrian Sykes and Lynn Harkes. Acquiring fine art prints is the best way to start your own art collection, especially if you can’t afford to buy original paintings just yet. Like me J.
The fashion and jewellery section are quite extensive as you find everything you fancy: summer dresses, espadrilles, scarves, hats, gloves, jumpers, unique necklaces, etc – all different, quirky and elegant, perfect for an individual style.

My favourite section is home décor as I am passionate about interior design and even thought I live in a rented accommodation, I like to create a cosy and inviting home that is unique to us (my husband and I) and reflects our taste. Whether we will continue renting or we will buy our own house one day, at least I know that we don’t have to invest too much in home décor pieces as we can take everything with us and recreate the same eclectic –Scandinavian – country style if needed.

Here are some photos with items from Not on the High Street and their place in our home. The quality of the photographs is not perfect, but, although one of my husband's hobbies is photography, I wanted to take those myself as my own little project. 



Advertised as rice bowls, we use them mainly as ice cream bowls. Next to them there is an enamel mug bought from a local shop and some vintage spoons and forks for desserts that I got from my mother-in-law. The two coasters are made to order, using an image with one of my original paintings. I love the blue and green colour combination whether with or without something in between and this is the colour scheme in our kitchen as well as for tableware. This is the reason why those bowls caught my eye, as they blend in nicely with the rest of the décor.


Green-citrus chair cushions

I had this colour in mind for ages for little touches in the living room and around the dining table as I think it goes well with golden brown furniture colour. But I just couldn't find anything until last year when I noticed an explosion of citrus green everywhere, from fashion to home décor. After acquiring a beautiful scarf to match my teal coat, I also found those citrus chair cushions that look great around the table. I just hope it won't go out of fashion too soon, but even so, I absolutely love this colour.


Tyre storage pots 

They are funky and quirky and when I saw them I had to buy them for my husband. They sit nicely on one of the bookcase's shelf next to my husband's desk and are perfect for storage purposes. I also bought them because I like the idea of recycling and re-purposing and I admire people's ingenuity when creating something like that. They look perfect in an industrial style interior as well as in an eclectic, vintage, masculine or contemporary one.



Do what you love wall plaque

Wall plaques are very fashionable and they are great to cover gaps on your wall or to add a touch of personality in your home. Choosing quotes that inspire you and reflect your lifestyle, wall plaques are chic and cosy. "Do what you love" wall plaque sits nicely in my art room where I create and I get to do what I really love. It is a constant reminder that I was right to choose this path, even thought it is hard work and not always straight forward. But when I wake up every day to my dream job, all I can think of is that it is all worth it in the end. What better place for this inspirational wall plaque then next to one of my favourite paintings (notice the citrus accents again) created back in 2011 when I took my artistic adventure to a more professional level.


As I finished writing this post, I couldn't help myself and I had to buy this beautiful pair of handmade wearable art earrings. I can't wait to get them and show them to you as part of another blog theme: Why I like handmade products.

No comments:

Post a Comment