Sunday 3 June 2018

New Home, New Studio



There is a reason why I have been so quiet in the last couple of months: we purchased our first house and besides enjoyment and planning the decoration, there were other not-so-enjoyable things to sort out. We got the keys on Friday and we started decorating straight away. There will be a few posts showing room by room photos as we complete decorating them, but I will start with my studio which was (nearly) completed in three days.




The room looked OK as it was but part of the walls was painted in sage green and while I love green as you might know, I wanted an all-white studio so my colourful accessories will stand out. In fact, we will have an all-white home all together for the same reason. I hope it will turn out as pretty as the picture in my head.



The whole house has a cottage look and the studio is an attic conversion with an exposed brick wall, wooden beams and cottage-like doors. One wall has a niche which I painted with chalkboard paint for my niece and nephews and other children to write or draw on. The whole wall will be a kind of experiment as I created some textures on it showing the paints underneath and the actual wall colour. Initially, it had a lovely image of a tree, full moon and two owls but I didn't want to keep it as I wanted to put my own stamp on it and I think it is perfect for a studio, especially as I wouldn't care if I will splash it while I paint.




And now, the furniture. You may already know the writing desk and the chest of drawers that I painted over with sea foam green - they are both back into my studio. As this is also going to be a guest room, it needed a sofa bed which I covered with a handwoven throw, made by my late grandmother, with a lace lined sheet underneath for a rustic touch. The lace is also made by my late grandmother and this is not only a homage to her but also my way of keeping in touch with my Romanian roots.





As for the floor, it is covered with carpet and my initial instinct was to rip it off and leave the wooden floor, but the carpet is in a quite good condition so I am leaving it as it is for now. Again, I wouldn't care too much if I will stain it with paint as this is my home so I can do just that. I haven't finished bringing all the things that I need in the studio and I might add some more furniture so a 'Part II' is to be expected. 




6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new home! Your studio looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brick wall is beautiful Teodora and adds so much interest to the room. Actually it is a very cool room with lots of unexpected things like that little cove and the small doors. Looking forward to seeing what else you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a bit messy at the moment, but I am getting there and I will definitely post an update :).

      Delete
  3. Oooh, that's going to be a lovely room to spend hours on end in, full of creativity!

    ReplyDelete