Thursday 15 November 2018

Botanical Painting Course at Eden Project



Eden Project is one of my favourite places to visit, not only for the educational aspect (I am all for recycling and sustainability) but also for the never-ending source of inspiration. When I learned about the botanical painting course they were going to run, I had to book my place.


Anyone who is familiar with my paintings knows that accuracy and staying true to the subject are not my artistic pursuits. At the same time, I have always admired botanical art and artists for their skill and accuracy of documenting various plants and flower species. With this course, I was hoping to find out more about how they do it and I wasn't disappointed. Not only did I learn accurate drawing techniques and graphite shading, but I had my first go at watercolour painting.

Tutor: Laura Silburn, a fellow of the Eden Project Florilegium Society who teaches botanical painting and drawing courses at the Eden Project.

Setting: Mediterranean biome surrounded by autumn vegetables, citrus fruit trees, and a lovely atmosphere.

Did I like it? Yes. Will I use the newly learned techniques in my art? Yes. Will I have another go at watercolors? Yes. And now, here is a selection of photos capturing the learning process.


Freehand drawing

Day 1 - drawing and painting exercises

Choosing my subject - green aubergines

Drawing stages

Drawing and shading 

Step by step painting

The finished painting


In case you are wondering why it isn't hung the right way up, it is because I bought a landscape frame instead of a portrait one. I was about to go back and change it, but then I thought why would I? I make mistakes like this all the time and I am also known for liking imperfections so 'hung the other way around' it is. For now.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! That is awesome! Never knew eggplants to be this beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a fascinating course and your results are stunning. I love your green aubergines (had to laugh at your 'wrong way up' frame: that's the sort of thing I do regularly! :oD ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I knew a fellow artist will understand ;).

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! Finding the beauty in the ordinary, I love that. What a wonderful setting for a lesson too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to try my hand at flowers too, now that I know the techniques :).

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an amazing opportunity. I was lucky enough to visit the Eden project a few years ago and had an amazing time. Your paintings lovely, it looks great that way round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely setting for the course. Also, we just got our locals' pass for a year (we live in Devon ;) ).

      Delete