Saturday 12 October 2013

My Holiday in Cornwall

St Michael's Mount
It’s been nearly three years since I have started my self-employment adventure and I finally had a holiday. For nearly three years I have been trying to establish myself as an artist and also figure out what job I can do to sustain my artistic ambition. As an aspiring artist, I did everything:  building up a portfolio of work; experimenting with various techniques and styles; applying and taking part in group exhibitions in Devon and Somerset; creating other items using my designs like cards, bookmarks and jewellery; selling in online galleries and shops; finding and selling through high street craft and gift shops; taking part in arts & craft fairs.

As this was, and still is, a time and budget consuming activity, I had no time and no resources to have a proper holiday. So a plan B was in place: finding a part time job. As I always wanted to work from home and I also had an attempt at offering my freelance writing services back in 2008, this year I started to look closely into freelancing. This is how I came across Elance, an online platform where clients and freelancers meet. I totally recommend it to anyone who wants an extra job along some other pursuits and interests. The best part for me is that I can work even when on holiday as I enjoy what I do and it is not a chore :).  

So, after nearly three years of building up my business (artistic and freelancing), I finally had a week holiday. We – my husband and I - stayed in Porthleven in Cornwall and we visited the surrounding areas nearly every day: St Ives, Penzance, The Lizard, Mousehole Harbour, Kynance Cove, Mullion Cove. I thoroughly enjoyed it as apart from beautiful seaside views, we also visited art galleries, artists' studios and gift shops. I came back full of energy and lots of inspiration. I can't wait to create something new; watch this space!







No comments:

Post a Comment