Thursday 13 December 2018

Edible Christmas Treats




Inspired by Day 10 of #12DaysofFolksy challenge over on Instagram which was 'FEAST', I decided to try a couple of recipes that I haven't tried before. One was intentional and one was by chance, but both resulted in delicious edible treats that not only can be enjoyed at Christmas table but can be offered as homemade Christmas prezzies as well.


1. Homemade hummus 





I wanted to make my own hummus for a while now and as Christmas is approaching and as I also like to give people handmade and homemade presents, I thought that this could be the perfect opportunity to try this recipe. The plan was that if all goes well, I can try a few different flavours (I ended up making four!) and I can freeze the surplus for later.

Flavour 1 - plain: chickpeas soaked overnight and simmered for about 2-2 1/2 hours, tahini, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper.
Flavour 2 - with roasted red pepper - just added one cup of roasted pepper to the above ingredients.
Flavour 3 - with cranberries - this was my husband's idea and he swears by it - I added less than a cup to the above ingredients.
Flavour 4 - with roasted aubergines - I roasted one aubergine and added it to the above ingredients.



You can play with quantities to your taste (eg in some of them I put less tahini and in some more lemon juice than required), but we love them (nearly) all. I am not too sure about the cranberry one and my husband hates aubergines, but the pepper flavoured one is divine.

2. Cranberry compote


This was made by chance as when I sent my husband shopping, instead of getting him to buy some pomegranates, I told him to get cranberries. Researching the Internet as to what can I do with a bunch of fresh cranberries, I came across this citrus compote which is yummylicious!



For this compote, you only need cranberries, orange (juice, pulp, and zest) and Marple syrup (I used golden syrup). The recipe requires vanilla extract too, but I don't really like vanilla so I haven't used any. This is such an easy and inexpensive present to make, it only takes about 15 minutes and a pretty jar.


How about you? What new recipes have you tried lately? What is your Christmas menu beside the traditional dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment