Sunday 5 April 2020

Dyeing Eggs with Turmeric and Onion Skin



As Easter is fast approaching, I thought I would show you how I dyed real eggs last year using natural products - turmeric for yellow and onion skin for red-orange.


The best eggs for this project are white-shells ones as the colour shows better. For turmeric ones, you need 1 tbsp of vinegar and 5-6 tbsp of turmeric for 3-4 cups of water. You boil them all together with the eggs and then you leave the eggs in the coloured water overnight in the fridge. You can check the colour regularly and take the eggs out when you are happy with the shade you got.

For the onion skin method, it is much easier. You can use either orange skin or red skin or a combination of both, you put the skin (you can put the skin from 2-3 onions) into the boiling water with the eggs and boil them as normal. You can leave the eggs in the water for a few minutes or hours after boiling, but the colour is quite intense so there is no need to leave them overnight. If you want different shades, you can take the eggs out at different times.

If you want patterns on your eggs, please have a read through this old post explaining the step-by-step method.

Also, throughout the years, I tried different dyeing methods, from cabbage leaves and spinach to onion skin and turmeric and I just love all of them.

I haven't decided which colour I want for this year (should I find the right eggs in the shops) but I may stick with turmeric and onion skin as I really love the result. How about you?











No comments:

Post a Comment