Monday 25 December 2023

Merry Christmas 2023 or How I Turned a Hungarian Poppy Seed Roll into a Cheesecake

 



Nothing can beat the smell of baked sweet bread (baigli and cozonaci) in preparation for Christmas, but what if they don't turn out to your taste? I am quite a fussy eater and although these delicacies are highly appreciated in my culture, I never really fancied them too much, unless they had a lot of filling to make up for the dough in between. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, here is a photo from last year with the traditional poppy seed roll that turned out exactly how I liked it. 



This year, however, I didn't put enough filling so I didn't enjoy it as much. After saving a few slices for my husband, I decided to turn the poppy seed roll into a cheesecake. While doing it, I realized that you can actually do this with any baked item that doesn't turn out to your taste. Instead of throwing it in the bin, you can turn it into a delicious dessert. 

In my case, I blitzed the roll into a food processor, added melted butter and some more ready-made poppy seed filling from the tin, and then I just made the cheesecake filling in the usual way: cream cheese and sugar. I also added lemon zest and whole poppy seeds to complement the crust. Left it in the fridge overnight and voila! One of the most delicious desserts I have ever made and eaten. 

Below are some more photos, capturing the making of process: 

Photo 1: I saved some slices from the roll that I thought had more filling. 

Photo 2: the cheesecake - final result

Photo 3: cheesecake crust made of: crumbled poppy seed roll, melted butter, and poppy seed filling  

Photo 4: Poppy seed roll pieces prepared to go into the food processor for blitzing 


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 🎄

No comments:

Post a Comment