Sunday 23 July 2023

Before, After, After-after or How I Revived a Forgotten Painting

 



This colorful semiabstract painting featuring a bouquet of textured roses didn't always look like this. I quite liked the very first version (as seen below) but the shadow was a bit off. I don't paint realistic, but I like to respect some kind of likeness even though it still isn't 100% true. I started with creating the shadow and the light in the right place of the painting but after finishing it, the composition was a bit off (view the second picture below).  




I added more flowers and leaves and accents to the abstract roses to balance up the colour combination of purple and yellow but the bottom part of the painting was rather bare. After a long deliberation with yours truly and changing my mind several times about what to add - butterflies, birds, fruits - I decided to add a chair to the table and I am rather pleased with the result. 


The painting is now more balanced in terms of composition, colours, and contrast. Do you agree? 

Now, I have a few more paintings lined up that need tweaking - watch this space for updates. How about you? Do you ever change your artwork? 

Here are the before, after, and after-after pictures with all three versions side by side. And if you fancy watching a video about the process, click this TikTok post. ☺



No comments:

Post a Comment